Water is more than H2O
Water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) solutions help close the cycle of disease in a community. Inability to access clean water makes even the simple act of washing your hands an impossible task.
- Getting clean water to rural villages is ranked the #1 strategy in Cost Effective Compassion. Christianity Today (Feb 2012)
- According to Living Water International, nearly 90% of all diseases are caused by poor hygiene, inadequate sanitation, and unsafe drinking water.
- The UN Development Program says clean water is among the most powerful preventive ways to reduce child mortality.
- A World Health Organization study estimates that the availability of clean water in a rural village reduces infant mortality by 35% to 50%.
- Research in Uganda found households spending on average 660 hours a year collecting water. This represents two full months of labor, with attendant opportunity costs for education, income generation, and female leisure time.” – United Nations Development Program, 2006